CROSSFIRE TO CARB.

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

CROSSFIRE TO CARB.

BOTTS BOTTS
New User | Posts: 15 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 11/12/07
05:54 PM

I AM CURIOUS ABOUT SWITCHING MY CROSSFIRE TO CARB...ANY SUGGESTIONS??? ANYBODY DONE THIS BEFORE?  DO I NEED TO SWITCH THE FUEL PUMP...ANY IDEAS. PLEASE LET ME KNOW. Tongue  

racerz51 racerz51
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 03/07
Posted: 11/12/07
10:19 PM

You'll need a fuel preesure regulator, return type, that will regulate the pressure down to around 6psi. you'll also need a vacuum advance type distributor. The trans will require a lock up switch for the torque converter. There are a few other things you'll need to do. Let me know if you're gonna proceed this way i'll help ya out. if ya wann make a faster CFI car i'll help ya there too.

Eric  

BOTTS BOTTS
Posted: 11/13/07
08:19 PM

WELL...HERE IS MY STORY, I HAVE A 84 VETTE...BOUGHT IT FROM MY DAD...HE OWNED IT FOR 13 YEARS...IT RUNS OK, IF YOU PUT IT TO THE MAT IT HAULS THE GROCERIES GOOD, BUT WHEN YOU ARE CRUISING AND YOU ARE UNDER A SLIGHT LOAD I HEAR A WHISTLE FROM THE INTAKE AND IT HAS A SPARK KNOCK, WITH A SLIGHT HESITATION.  I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY OTHER VETTE ENTHUSISTS THAT THE BEST THING TO DO IS REPLACE THE CFI WITH A CARB AND INTAKE....SO BEFORE I DO THIS I WOULD LIKE AN EXACT PROCEDURE OR LIST OF PARTS I HAVE TO SWITCH....WHAT IS YOUR THOUGHT?

JOSH  

55Guy 55Guy
New User | Posts: 27 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 11/14/07
07:59 AM

Before giving up on your Cross-Fire system, it sounds like it might need a good rebuild, like you would a carb. After 23 years of use, I'm sure some stuff is worn out. Turbo City in California specializes in throttle body injection systems, including OE stuff. I'd give them a shout, tell them the trouble you're having, and see what they suggest. Here's their website:

www.turbocity.com

Despite its issues, the cross-fire system is original to your car, and the early C4s are becoming restoration candidates. Keeping the original stuff on the car isn't a bad way to go.

What color's your '84?  

BOTTS BOTTS
Posted: 11/14/07
07:22 PM

HEY I REALLY LIKE YOUR ATTITUDE...THE ORIGINAL COLOR WAS TWO TONE BROWN....MY DAD HAD THE CAR REPAINTED  11 YEARS AGO A BRIGHT BRIGHT RED....IT REALLY LOOKS GOOD, HE THEN REPLACED THE INTERIOR COMPLETELY FROM CARPET TO ALL THE SEALS...THE ENGINE ONLY HAS 65K MILES ON IT....I JUST GET FRUSTRATED NOT KNOWING WHAT IS WRONG AND THAT I CANT FIGURE OUT WHAT IS WRONG.

JOSH  

derf0219 derf0219
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 12/10/07
08:16 PM

clearance under your hood is going to be tight, do your research, (edelbrock)airgap manifold(7501), + performer carb(1406) and air cleaner wont fit under that hood unlesss you have a tall cowl hood. You could use a performer intake(2701), or a torker(5001) intake, a performer 600cfm carb(1406), drop-base air-cleaner 10" diameter 2" thick and still have to trim off the top of the hold down stud. not sure about other brands. Easy conversion, just do your research on clearance,under the hood unless you want to hole a hole through it. expesive hood. you'll also need a bracket for your kickdown cable to your carb you can modify one from any old GM or you can buy one from a good speed shop.

You will need that vaccum advanced distributor. Use a pressure regulator with a return line to knock it down from 13psi to 5-7psi, or use an external pump, you might still need a regulator. Not sure about the lock down swicth for your tranny.
Hey man good luck  

rickgalvez rickgalvez
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 05/08
Posted: 05/02/08
06:40 PM

Hi I'm new to this Forum, But I bought a 84 Vette switched over to a Carb set-up before I bought the vette. The guy could not get it to run, Well it runs OK (not Great) now. I currently have a Edelbrock Performer 2701 and a Holley 750 Double Pumper. Still Carb too big. I have the Holley fuel pressure regulator. Can you help with the Model # and make of the pressure regulator with return line? I'm all set on the Tranny. I'm thinking of going with a Edelbrock 600 or 650 carb, Any ideas and Why?
Thanks  
1976 Corvette Stingray #s Matching
1984 Corvette C4 CFI to Carb

nadog84 nadog84
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 07/16/08
08:21 PM

I have an 84. Just pulled the motor to have ti rebuilt and switched over to Carb setup. What size air cleaner can you fit with a performer and a holley 750? will a standard 3" tall air cleaner with a recessed base work? Is there a better intake out there for this conversion?
Thanks  

rickgalvez rickgalvez
Posted: 01/03/09
10:53 PM

Hi again, I just my 84 Corvette conversion from CFI to Carburetor, I whet with a OEM Alum. Factory 1981 Camaro z-28 Manifold and a OEM Rochester Quadrajet from 1974 Corvette. This set up work great for accerlation and cleanrance. Inatke is a low Profile edelbrock intake.
Orginail Fuel pump in tank but added a MALLORY FUEL REGULATOR 3-PORT #4309 (return line style) to keep the PSI Fuel at 8-7- psi. FYI only I added a eaton 3:73 rear gears too.  

waynep712 waynep712
User | Posts: 77 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 01/20/09
04:10 PM

i know that this is an old thread that keeps on going...  if the timing is wrong.. it will ping...

but..  you have to set the timing with the timing connector disconnected... early crossfires did not have this... so a jumper harness has to be made up or bought.. it plugs between the 4 pin connector that controls the timing and the fuel injection.. there are instructions...

a timing jumper harness can be made up out of junk yard scavenged connectors...    almost all 82 and up large cap hei's with computer timing had 4 wire plugs... cut the entire connector out of a junker gm ... not just a vette..  crimp the wires together... with a switch in one... i will post how to do it when i get a chance.. or pm me...

there is another way to set base timing...  with the engine off..   bring the crank balancer timing mark to 6 before top dead center,. carefully pull the air filter housing.. distributer cap and rotor...  see how close the tips of the reluctor are to the tips of the pick up coil... with the crank at 6 before...  if you turn the housing slightly till the tips are in perfect alignment...><   it will be really really close to being right on...    using this ... you can even set the timing on the distributer with the engine on the stand...  and when you turn the key... it will start and run without needing to have the distributer turned...  be sure that you are turning the motor in the run direction when you bring it up to the 6 before mark.. so there will be no slop in the timing chain on used motors  

billy0 billy0
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/09
Posted: 01/27/09
05:23 PM

i have a 1984 corvette cfi im sick of it i want to change it to a carb can you tell me what all i need to do  

billy0 billy0
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/09
Posted: 01/27/09
05:28 PM

i have a 1984 corvette cross fire fuel im sick of it i want to change it to a carb can you tell me what all i need to do  

rickgalvez rickgalvez
Posted: 02/02/09
11:47 AM

This conversion could a little bit of money now. Still willing to do it? Are you thinking cutting the OEM Hood or replacing it? Clearnce is a huge problem. Would need to due a very low profile Manifold design.
Thanks  

rickgalvez rickgalvez
Posted: 02/02/09
11:48 AM

Some more info:
Hi Guys,
Hi just bought an 84 Vette CFI already converted to Holley Carb. the problem is the Fuel Regulator.
It came with a Holley Basic (cheap) Fuel Pressure Regulator.

I have been reading some forums that a CFI to Carb set-up needs a Fuel Pressure Regulator with a return line set-up. (Maybe not a EFI Fuel Pressure Regulator). But not sure. The CFI does have a return line back to the gas tank almost the same set up as the TPI.  I think I need a:
Regulator Style: Return
Aeromotive Universal Bypass Regulators   AEI-13301
Fuel Pressure Regulator, 3-20 psi, Red and Black An = odized, Universal

I know some of you corvette guys have done this, Please advice on the Fuel Pressure Regulator you have used. Also, what fuel Pressure does the 84 Vette run best. (6-8 PSI)? or higher?
Need a little help. What would be the max size Carb I can use for this set-up?

The Vette came with a Holley 750 CFM Double Pumper (may need rebuilding) I’m thinking too big.
Maybe smaller, such as Edelbrock 650 cfm.
Thanks  

kc5nqx kc5nqx
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 02/09
Posted: 02/28/09
11:19 PM

New to forum this is where i began bought 84 cfi system is shot no repairing it car has sat for 5 years going to install carb heres what i have intake 2701 elderbrock and 600cfm elderbrok carb with eletric choke havent even tried to shut hood yet clearence looks way to tight has anyone tried droping the motor half a inch??? do the make a 1 inch air filter or 1 1/2 inch airfilter instead of the 2inch? or am i just freaking out and what i have will work? sure doesnt look like it...  also i will have a cfi syetem includening computer if anyone is instread but im telling you its junk... please any info pictures ideas would be appreicatied thank you ...
Douglas parker
kc5nqx@yahoo.com look forward to checking the fourum in morning  Shocked  

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last