Facebook Click here to find out more!

Brake light relay - annoying clicking sound

Item Posts    Sort Order

Brake light relay - annoying clicking sound

TedStone TedStone
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 04/09
Posted: 04/19/09
07:22 AM

A few weeks after purchasing by 09 C6, I noticed a "click" coming from the dash every time I depressed or released the brake.  I took it in for service and the technician said this clicking sound is coming from the brake light relay (which makes sense) but that the sound is normal and it can not be fixed (which does not make sense).  I suggested they go start up a few of the new C6's on the lot and sure enough they make the same sound.  The technician said there are no quieter sensors available at this time. It's hard to believe this part would be designed to make this noise.  Am I alone here?  Any advice?  

josh2799 josh2799
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 07/07/09
12:19 PM

You are not alone. I just purchased a 2009 corvette c6, and it also makes that noise. When i hit the brake, shut the door, and turn the car off. It sounds like its in the dash. If you could email me at joshlerner92@gmail.com because i dont like the ways forums work. THanks-  

TedStone TedStone
Posted: 07/08/09
01:42 PM

Will do.  

orange09ragtop orange09ragtop
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 01/10
Posted: 01/10/10
09:55 PM

Icon QuoteTedStone:
A few weeks after purchasing by 09 C6, I noticed a "click" coming from the dash every time I depressed or released the brake.  I took it in for service and the technician said this clicking sound is coming from the brake light relay (which makes sense) but that the sound is normal and it can not be fixed (which does not make sense).  I suggested they go start up a few of the new C6's on the lot and sure enough they make the same sound.  The technician said there are no quieter sensors available at this time. It's hard to believe this part would be designed to make this noise.  Am I alone here?  Any advice?

I bought a '09 C6 some 6 or so months back myself. I drove mine on the '09 Caravan to Bowling Green. While driving in the Caravan I noticed this myself. I had opportunity to speak w/ top level mechanic AND some of the engineers who developed/designed C6. I accept this 'click' and it does not bother me. These cars have some of the latest technology built into them. Know this, because you have first generation technology means you posess something nobody else (in other cars) has, and it will be 'tweaked' as time moves on. Technology and performance are not cheap. To make it cheap where 'everybody else' can have the tech (in your Vette) you already have means that the 'next gen' will solve the 'tick' or 'click' you hear. I blow it off because it in no way affects the performance, drivability, comfort or looks of my Vette. I accept my Vette for what it is. I wanted it. I got it. Thats the way it is!!! Wink  

TedStone TedStone
Posted: 06/05/10
11:00 AM

Thank you for your reply !  Yes, we're all glad to have the latest technology in our Vette (whatever that technology might be in this case).  I'm particularly pleased to hear that C6 engineers are aware of the issue, which neither GM Customer Care nor the dealer could confirm. But . . . I'll be even happier when these really smart engineers come up with the right "tweak" and offer a fix to the problem. Take care.  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Guru | Posts: 1114 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 06/05/10
01:18 PM

i would like to know if anybody has found the noisy relay...  seen if a replacement is quieter???  or another brand is quieter..

i have not even been close to the 09 models..  other than being past rapidly by them as their owners go smiling by..

in my thinking.. the relay is there to operate the shift interlock solenoid..

either the relay.. or the shift interlock solenoid might be making the noise..

wrapping the relay case in a layer of carefully placed duct tape may help quiet it..  why do it think this..

got a set of home speakers...  tune the stereo on.. place your hands on the middle of the sides...   can you feel the middle of the side panels flex with the sound.. its the middle of the cube sides that need damping..  so a few cents worth of duct tape might dampen the noise...

some speakers will have this problem.. some better designed versions won't.. i was jut getting across that sounds are transmitted through the middle of the walls..  not the edges.. so damping them might quiet the relays..    when my brother designed recording studios.. he made the wall covering on one side 1/3 heavier by weight than on the other side of the double offset studded walls.. so the middle of one wall would not contact the middle of the other side..   the weight difference prevented harmonics from being transmitted..

if it is the shift interlock solenoid... it might need some damping also.. there is a heat build up problem if you cover it in tape...   same thing with the relay.. most of these relays and interlock solenoids are not powered up when your foot is not on the brakes.. so tape might help..

i have not seen the shift interlock solenoid .. i don't know if it comes apart... if the actual moving parts are making noise when they hit the stop...   perhaps the factory will install a silicone o ring or silicone washer to dampen the hard hit that creates the sound..

the sound proofing inside these cars must be excellent.. unlike a bowling alley.. where is it so quiet you can hear a pin drop..  or my old GTO.. that you could hear idling a block away.. and when i got on it.. you could hear it 3 or more blocks away..  

dahliajohn dahliajohn
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 06/10
Posted: 06/29/10
07:21 AM

I have a 2006, and mine does the same thing. When I start the car it is at it worse. Clicking sounds every time I step on the brake.  

Ula Salinas Ula Salinas
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 10/18/13
06:27 PM

It's not just a "corvette" thing.  I have a 99 mercury mystique that just started doing the same thing.  My mechanic recognized where it was coming from, but said there was nothing he could do. Cutting edge technology?  I think not  

wayne712222 wayne712222
User | Posts: 125 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 10/19/13
02:01 AM

well.. this has been going for a while..

i would bet that somewhere along the line a relay spec got changed or a part number got superceeded..

there are some styles of relays that are available that have LESS NOISE..

there are also... SOLID state relays available for some applications..  but would require some design and perhaps a rewiring to make work..

anybody with an issue..

you might want to get the relay part number... and your application..  perhaps the relay socket # location.. check your owners manual...

there are DOZENS of relays.. so without your input of a year, make , model.. relay location and # according to the owners manual pages..  the part numbers off your relay... and any spec or photographs.. pasted to photobucket.. and then linked here.

contact a manufacturer like www.wellsve dot com.. they might have something that can be used in a quieter ..

there are also hundreds of relay designs..

potter broomfield is another relay manufacturer usually industrial...