Facebook Click here to find out more!

1985 CORVETTE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS

Item Posts    Sort Order

1985 CORVETTE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS

Bumpus25 Bumpus25
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/11
Posted: 12/19/11
11:00 AM

I have a 1985 corvette i got and whom ever rebulit the trans mission before had put the flex plate on backwords and it have a few striped teeth. than the starter finaly striped the teeth. than me and my father changed the felx plate by drpoing the transmission and in doing so the transmission lost most of it's fluid as well as the torque converter. we got everything back into place and put some trans fluid into the trans and it won't grab th move the car. it runs great but won't move.  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Guru | Posts: 1114 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 12/19/11
07:22 PM

ok... backwards... hmm..

let me ask a few questions...

engine off.. check the transmission level.....  note how far above the full level it is on the dip stick...

start the engine...  does the fluid level drop ANY on the dip stick..
this will show if the pump is starting to work.

the transmission is operated by fluid...

with the engine running how much fluid in on the dip stick in park...

did you properly adjust the throttle valve cable at the throttle body?? this is the cable that runs over and down to the transmission passenger side..   if the cable is misadjusted.. the transmission may NOT even last one trip down the block..

when the  torque converter falls off the input shaft/front pump.. it has to be supported by holding the pilot hub on the center of the front and spun while lightly pushing it inward to allow the splines to engage.. then the front pump has to engage on the flats of the torque converter hub..

if its forced in..   you WILL break the front pump...

there are a BUNCH of articles spread out in the magazines on these transmissions..   they also require several hundred dollars in special tools to assemble them properly if you have to take it apart..  the nylon seals on the input shaft are one thing..

so... lets check to see if when you start the engine.. if the fluid level on the dipstick drops...

next.. where is the fluid level on the dipstick with the engine running.....  

bobbycharles bobbycharles
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 10/12/13
04:20 PM

what is the answer?  

waynep712222 waynep712222
User | Posts: 129 | Joined: 03/13
06:50 PM

Icon Quotebobbycharles:
what is the answer?

they probably broke the front pump while the had the transmission out.. or while reinstalling the transmission..

the torque converter falls out of place..

if it gets out of alignment of the flats on the hub of the converter with the flats on the inner gear of the pump.. it breaks the inner rotor of the pump...

this is a tear down video of a 4L60E which is the electronic shift version of the 700R4 in your corvette..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQgQIyIhI0o

the original poster never came back with an answer..  

waynep712222 waynep712222
User | Posts: 129 | Joined: 03/13
06:50 PM

Icon Quotebobbycharles:
what is the answer?

they probably broke the front pump while the had the transmission out.. or while reinstalling the transmission..

the torque converter falls out of place..

if it gets out of alignment of the flats on the hub of the converter with the flats on the inner gear of the pump.. it breaks the inner rotor of the pump...

this is a tear down video of a 4L60E which is the electronic shift version of the 700R4 in your corvette..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQgQIyIhI0o

the original poster never came back with an answer..