Corvette Fever
Facebook Click here to find out more!

1984 corvette crossfire I NEED HELP PLEASE!

Item Posts    Sort Order

1984 corvette crossfire I NEED HELP PLEASE!

goodday87 goodday87
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 05/12
Posted: 05/15/12
05:52 PM

I have a 1984 corvette crossfire

My current problem is with the crossfire setup. Previously I was facing no-start issues due to clogged fuel injectors.. I have changed my fuel injectors and now I am not getting fuel to my injectors or through the fuel meter setup. in order to get the car to start I have to use starter fluid. I know my fuel pump works and so on, I just can't seem to get fuel to come out of my injectors. This is my first corvette i have owned and I realize that maybe I should have avoided the Crossfire year corvettes. someone please help and make me feel less of an idiot!!  

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 181 | Joined: 04/12
09:19 PM

check your other thread...

and read this thread..

http://forums.corvettefever.com/70/8585187/c4-corvettes/which-used-scan-tools-for-82-to-94-corvettes-with/index.html  

waynep71222 waynep71222
09:20 PM

ps... try to keep it all IN one thread....

lets close this one..  and just use the other...  

1984CROSSFIRESD 1984CROSSFIRESD
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/12
Posted: 07/25/12
12:31 PM

I don't mean to take over but I have a few questions about my 84 crossfire. Please help if you can. The car runs great but cuts out at high rpms. The car has no check engine light as in it doesn't work. When I hook a scanner to it the scanner won't power up. The car doesn't have any blown fuses. The previous owner did some things to the car to keep it on the road without proper know how or research. I have changed the egr vavel, new plugs, plug wires, cap rotor etc. The car runs great until I get into the higher rpms. I am at a loss, some direction on this would be great. Thanks.  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Posted: 07/25/12
03:04 PM

this is going to require some repair manuals..

there is a 2 page as i recall chart .. WON'T flash code 12.. on trouble shooting why the check engine light does not work..

this is basicly a TBI fuel injection system used on MILLIONS of other GM cars and trucks...

you can get a crossfire manual in pdf form online for under 10 bucks as i recall...

you can subscribe to eautorepair.net as they have it also..

or you can pick up a factory service manual for the 84 corvette..

on these models.. the SCANNER is powered by the cigar lighter not the ALDL connector..  or the internal battery in the scanner

which brand and model scanner do you have...
there are several OTC models
monitor 2000 versions
monitor 4000 and 4000E versions..
a whole bunch of variations of monitor extended and extended monitors.. also most genisys models.

autoxray had some great early units before they went to OBD2 versions.. after that they only read codes.. not data stream

actron CP9110..

snapon MT2500s

you could have FUEL volume issues..  perhaps caused by a blocked fuel filter or a worn out fuel pump in the tank...

i would look at the pick up coil to see if the second layer down is broken.. i have found several crossfires with the second magnet layer broken and sliding out of position..  just being broken will cause issues..

there could also be ground wire issues..  causing incorrect voltage readings on some of the 3 wire sensors.. like the TPS or MAP...

one wire has exactly 5.0 volts
another is grounded
the third wire is variable voltage back to the ECM to let it know what the sensor is doing..

your problem could also be a loose ground wire connection for the ECM.. its on the bracket near the EGR valve solenoid.

82 84Crossfiregroundconnection  

84crossfiresd 84crossfiresd
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/12
Posted: 07/26/12
08:06 AM

I have a snapon mt2500 scanner. I don't have a cigar lighter attachment for the scanner but it does have batteries. When I plug the scanner into the car it doesn't communicate with the car. I'm going to go through and check out the grounds and I'll check to see what kind of fuel pressure I'm getting as well. Thanks a bunch for your help. Any advice would be great. I've don't quit a bit of work to throttle body injected trucks and vans but the vette is new to me. When I bought this car it was really in shambles. It's a nice car though and I'm really enjoying making it right.  

waynep71222 waynep71222
10:27 AM

there are several sections here that are covered in some of the print manuals...

http://carburetor-manual.com/corvette-crossfire-fuel-injection-service-manual-p-311.html

on the MT2500 i recall that there is a single wire that has to run to hook to the positive battery to make the scan tool work properly with the GM system...

there should be TWO versions of this with your kit...

the cigar lighter version that plugs into the side of the 12 pin GM connector

0Yi!~~60 12

and a similar version that has a battery charger clip to go on the positive battery cable..

without it .. you just won't get it to work...

warning.. use only the proper cable..  i think the 90 degree connector has an inner and an outer connector.. that might have been for negative and positive for a different application..
i never ohmed the wire to see if it connects to the center connector or the external..  

waynep71222 waynep71222
10:49 AM

look for the cross fire chart A-1 and A-2   won't flash code 12..  

mdhubel mdhubel
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 02/13
Posted: 02/06/13
03:47 PM

My son and I purchased a 1984 recently and we are also working through some Fuel injection issues. I do have a some questions about the actual injector, however, for gooddday87, it just so happens I was reading the haynes manual and there is a section about the very problem you are experiencing and how to pinpoint where the problem is. It seems there are a number of location where there can be a blockage, including as suggested here, the fuel filter.
Also there is a front and rear injector, and they are different.
My question is on the actual injector.
It appears that a lot of cars have had the truck injector installed and even though it will work, it is not correct pressure and volume according to FIC ( rebuilders). The number on the injector is 170640973. I was given these numbers as the correct part number. Actual 84 is 5233770/5233775. The 82 model year is 17078827/17078846. My attempts to find the correct ones to use as cores to rebuild has failed to the point that my information is being questioned. A used supplier cehcked 10 pair and all were the truck units.
Does anybody know the real story on the part numbers and using the truck ones. Thanks and sorry for the long post.  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Posted: 02/06/13
07:07 PM

best is to talk to JIM LINDER at linder technical services in indiana..   they specialize in fuel injection and know flow rates and spray patterns..

as much as i work with these.. i have never had one on a fully instrumented dyno... so i could see the air fuel ratio for each individual cylinder...

with only ONE oxygen sensor in one exhaust manifold.. its an average air fuel ratio...

so because of the open plenum there must be a slight issue of the fuel moving backwards slightly so a richer front injector might be needed... but this is speculation on my part...