1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

1984 corvette crossfire HELP PLEASE!

goodday87 goodday87
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 05/12
Posted: 05/15/12
05:54 PM

I have a 1984 corvette crossfire

My current problem is with the crossfire setup. Previously I was facing no-start issues due to clogged fuel injectors.. I have changed my fuel injectors and now I am not getting fuel to my injectors or through the fuel meter setup. in order to get the car to start I have to use starter fluid. I know my fuel pump works and so on, I just can't seem to get fuel to come out of my injectors. This is my first corvette i have owned and I realize that maybe I should have avoided the Crossfire year corvettes. someone please help and make me feel less of an idiot!!  

goodday87 goodday87
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 05/12
06:48 PM

PLEASE HELP! YOU GUYS ARE MY ONLY OPTION...  

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 181 | Joined: 04/12
08:50 PM

ok.. hang on...  i cover about a dozen forums.. so i don't always see fresh posts.. i was also out working on a friends car..

more to come....  

waynep71222 waynep71222
08:58 PM

back to basics...

when you use starting fluid..   DOES it actually start and continue running..

are you getting a constant check engine light when it runs...

if so.  are you getting any codes? when you plug in an OBD1 scan tool or jump the A and B terminal on the ALDL...  

waynep71222 waynep71222
09:04 PM

next what diagnostic tools do you have

fuel injection pressure tester.???? i don't recall if Cross fire motors actually have a test port on the fuel rails... i think they do..   most TBI motors DO not..

do you have a digital volt meter??.. they are priced between 7 bucks and about 25 for a regular version.. which is mostly what you will need..

a timing light..

do you have some kind of OBD1 scan tool... i put up a post in the active posts about scan tools to use with the C4 corvettes...

check the active posts link...  

waynep71222 waynep71222
09:05 PM

next... what parts have you already replaced..???  

waynep71222 waynep71222
09:18 PM

http://forums.corvettefever.com/70/8585187/c4-corvettes/which-used-scan-tools-for-82-to-94-corvettes-with/index.html  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Posted: 05/16/12
10:22 PM

are you coming back???  

pepsi1 pepsi1
User | Posts: 83 | Joined: 01/12
Posted: 05/17/12
01:40 AM

Wayne:

I wonder the same thing does it keep running once you stop using the starting fluid?

Which one of those is the cold start injector? I have very little information on those....I recall the Noid lamp should show a pulse,but is it the closest to the firewall. Can they be switched? It could just be clogged with crap!

I remember in the 80's the guys removed those POS andput them away in case they ever sold the car. A friend of my had that POS I lived under the hood. The dealer's had no idea how t fix them. He finally put a carb and I did a set of heads for him, when I was done with it I took it for a ride with his wife as a co-pilot and that thing went wide-ways I think she wet herself....That was the crappiest set-ups I've ever seen GM produce????  

pepsi1 pepsi1
02:00 AM

Icon Quotegoodday87:
I have a 1984 corvette crossfire

My current problem is with the crossfire setup. Previously I was facing no-start issues due to clogged fuel injectors.. I have changed my fuel injectors and now I am not getting fuel to my injectors or through the fuel meter setup. in order to get the car to start I have to use starter fluid. I know my fuel pump works and so on, I just can't seem to get fuel to come out of my injectors. This is my first corvette i have owned and I realize that maybe I should have avoided the Crossfire year corvettes. someone please help and make me feel less of an idiot!!

Goodday87:

Make sure those connectors are ok check that none of the pins are push out, anything stupid...

I would look for any pinched wires to either/or both of those injectors. If your really comfortable with taking those injectors apart,I would have at it. There really isn't much to them. There's a couple O'Rings  some very tiny wires, and really about it.

It really sounds like the injector is clogged. You don't have to take much apart,just lay the parts on a shop towel. The clog maybe so small you might not see it. If you've watched those pulse it really is a fascianting system. I don't know what else to tell you unless Wayne pulls something out of his hat. I'm like him I cover 12 or 14 forums also. We do this because we like too...It sucks when crap happens. Your talking a system that's almost 30 years old...The younger guys won't even touch it...

There's a company that just has tech books.
The web-site is www.cartechbooks.com Grin  Cool

I would look for dirt somewhere...I'll bet those injectors are expensive big time now..They were expensive back in the day alao...

Sometime I wish I could see it (you know what I mean)?
Bob  

waynep71222 waynep71222
06:48 AM

i use a timing light to watch the fuel injector cone spray pattern..

man it makes it easy to see the pattern...

http://carburetor-manual.com/corvette-crossfire-fuel-injection-service-manual-p-311.html

This 25 page GM Crossfire & Electronic Fuel Injection Service Manual covers the electronics side of servicing the Throttle Body Fuel Injection (TBI) used in single use on all the GM cars and Dual use such as the Crossfire injections used for the Corvette models

the crossfire fuel injection is also covered for free on the az site in various sections with different amounts of info..

under the 82 corvette .. 83 camaro or firebird and 84 camaro.. the theory behind these is the same..  i don't know why they cover different info..

hey bob.. i bet when you find clogged injectors.. somebody decided to reuse the fuel filter by installing it backwards from its former direction.. BAD IDEA...

the throttle body gasket set is about 50 bucks from AZ

like bob said.. the injectors come out the top.. so you don't have to loosen the throttle body base..  the injectors are still just over 100 bucks each.. and the front and rear are different..  

madmaddi madmaddi
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/12
Posted: 09/22/12
09:13 AM

Having same kind of problems 84 vette can not get fuel to injectors found a bad fuel pump relay and replaced it but fuel pump will only run if I jump terminals d and e on the relay any ideas thanks  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Posted: 09/22/12
11:46 AM

the fuel pump power circuit...

there are 2 sources of fuel pump voltage.  

the fuel pump relay is only controlled by the ECM

there is an oil pressure switch with 2 contacts on 84 models.. 3 contacts on later L98 models..

the oil pressure switch that controls the fuel pump circuit closes when the oil pressure comes up..  

see if you have power on the ORANGE wire to both
that orange wire is constant battery power through a fusible link...  non switched...

the TAN wire goes to the fuel pump fuse.. then on to the fuel pump..

on the fuel pump relay.... the Dark Green and white striped wire is how the ECM controls the fuel pump relay... unlike all the other controlled circuits.. this one the ECM sends positive voltage to the fuel pump relay coil....  warning.. this circuit is VERY easy to burn out inside the ECM if you short it or probe it improperly...  been there and done that my self the first time a LONG LONG TIME ago..

the fuel pump relay coil is grounded via a black and white wire... please verify that circuit is grounded... if it got left unhooked.. you won't have any fuel pump relay operation

now.. there is a 5th wire on the fuel pump relay.    i don't show a color on that wire on my diagram...  it goes to the ALDL connector under the dash board cavity G... if you with the key off... send positive voltage to that cavity... it will pass through the normally closed contact in the fuel pump relay and right through to the fuel pump fuse and then the fuel pump..

it allows the fuel pump to be primed easily.  its a factory thing.. that we can use...

when you turn the key ON.. you should get fuel pump relay operation for 2 seconds...

when you turn the key to the cranking position.. you should get fuel pump relay operation as long as you are cranking...

once the engine starts... the 2 prong oil pressure switch should take over and connect the orange and the tan wires under the distributer to supply power to the fuel pump as long as there is oil pressure...

the contacts in these do go bad...

if you have an az

Duralast/Oil Pressure Switch For your 1984 Chevrolet Corvette 5.7L TBI 8cyl  Part Number: PS114
Alternate Part Number: OP23311

the proper connector for the 2 prong oil pressure switch is

Duralast/Oil Pressure Switch Connector
Part Number: 1053

wire color location on the 2 prong oil pressure switch is not important.  its only connected to the other wire...

if you have one of the cars with a 3 wire oil pressure switch.. thats slightly different..

this is a fuel pump diagram from the next year up L98 TPI motor instead of a cross fire.. the ECM connectors are different but the circuit is wired exactly the same.. other than where it connects to the ECM

86 165V8tpi 4

print it..  follow the wiring with colored markers...  its easier to understand...  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Posted: 09/27/12
06:48 PM

I'm wondering if the same junk that clogged the injectors didn't clog other componets.There are really small orfices in those injectors, and some junk could have redid what you undid. I think I mention this on every earlier Corvette with a fuel problem. See if there is a Hi-Performance replacement fuel pump for it when you buy any fuel system parts for the Vettes.  

jseremba jseremba
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/13
Posted: 08/10/13
04:26 PM

Hi everybody,

I have a 1984 Throttle Body Corvette. It starts on a few cranks. When it is warm it usually takes more cranks to start. If I use starter fluid on crank and it is running. And stays running.
So what I am getting from the posts is that I need to change to a three prong oil pressure switch?  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last