Excessive Heat felt in center console

conduitpeddler conduitpeddler
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/12
Posted: 07/07/12
01:28 PM

Hi.
New to form and new corvette owner.
Have 2007 LS2 with low miles.
On recient ride (2) hours noticed warm tempeture rise between seats.
Top was down, speed 40-50 mph on back roads.6 speed trans running around 2-2500 rmp in 3-4th gear.
Is this typical?
Doing something wrong?with respect to gear/rpm ratio.
Or is this common in this year vette?.
Any help appreciated.
Joe Confused  

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 181 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 07/07/12
09:11 PM

i don't have one of those...

but i am curious.. until some of the other owners drop in..

was your AC set to dash outlets..  you might want to see if you can set it to floor and dash vents..  blow some cold air into the foot wells...

exhaust systems under high speed cruise can get BRIGHT RED.

the infrared coming off it can really really really soak through the floor pan..

i am taking that you don't have a check engine light..

back before OBD2.. some cars actually had a warning light on the dash board for FLOOR TEMPS.. when the exhaust system got the floor too hot.. it switched on a thermal switch to warn the driver of the floor pan reaching dangerous temps..  before it set the padding on fire...

because of the low air dams across the front of the car.. there is not as much cooling air flow around the exhaust as there is on other cars.

i keep thinking of the sprint cup nascar racers with 130F plus interior temps..  wondering why they don't have a dual layer floor pan and firewall.. with air flow between the layers to keep them cool... even if its just ventilated with lovers punched in and an opening at the back of the hood/ base of the wind shield..  or a tiny slot across the top of the back of the main roof to siphon the air out of the drivers compartment..  even a tiny shim under the roof flaps to draw the air out..  

2011GS 2011GS
New User | Posts: 8 | Joined: 08/11
Posted: 10/25/12
01:14 PM

Joe,
Sad to say, this is normal.  My center console gets warm too.  There are aftermarket liners to put in your cup holders and I have also seen a chassis stiffner that has a optional heat shield.  When I get the time I will opt for the stiffner with the heat blanket.  Some say it works well.  There is nothing wrong with your car.  

2011GS 2011GS
New User | Posts: 8 | Joined: 08/11
Posted: 10/25/12
01:33 PM

Try this link

http://www.zip-corvette.com/ProductDetails/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=%7B041838e7-1406-4d06-8918-733bdd8a5147%7D&

It is a driveshaft tunnel stiffner/heat shield.  I have seen them prices ranging from $299-$499.  Hope this helps/  

pepsi1 pepsi1
User | Posts: 83 | Joined: 01/12
Posted: 10/27/12
09:35 PM

If it's anything like my brother's 2002 Z06 you would swear it would boil water. It's normal. I took header wrap and folded it and layered it above the exhaust. Between the floor and the pipe. It seemed to help and it cut down on road noise also.
  Don't wrap the pipe you will only create a bigger problem, if not a fire...

Bob