Posted: 08/27/12
12:05 PM

On my C4 4+3 I feel slippage during exceleration how do I tell if it is my
clutch or my overdrive unit?  

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 181 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 08/27/12
08:03 PM

thats a great question.. that i am not familiar enough with the 4+3 to be able to give you a proper answer..

there are several other forum members who drop through.. and a few more members over at vetteweb.com forums for vette magazine..

have your changed the fluid in the overdrive section and replaced the transmission filter lately??  reading the sediment in the bottom of the overdrive pan..??

do you have a corvette service manual that covers the 4+3??  

richssm richssm
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 08/12
Posted: 08/28/12
09:16 AM

Yes I have a manual and no I have not changed the
fluid or filter today I am going to smell the fluid
to see if it smells burnt thats what we used to do in the old days. thanks for the help so far  

pepsi1 pepsi1
User | Posts: 83 | Joined: 01/12
Posted: 08/28/12
07:23 PM

Knowing those tranny's well that would be the first thing to do.Change the fluid and filter! Take it to a shop your familar with,as those tranny's are very weak...It could just be the filter clogging up,but if it's been slipping a while I would not look to the brite side of that trans being any better off after a fluid and filter change....I think it's the worst idea GM had in a long while. Grin

The second thing which could be a good thing is the clutch is slipping,is the front seal on the trans leaking? Is the rear main leaking on the engine? Whatever the problem turns out to be get it to someone who knows and understands that 4X3 tranny. Tongue  Shocked  Confused

Bob  

richssm richssm
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 08/12
Posted: 09/09/12
09:15 AM

I changed my filter and refilled my fluid. I smelled my
fluid and it smells like gear lube I wonder if at my last full service oil change they topped off my overdrive with gearlube? I can see that might explain a lot. Another can of worms!  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Posted: 09/14/12
09:50 PM

Boy you know anything is possible these days. Someone not knowing the system, and not paying attention to what they are doing...

If you took it to a dealership, most of the mechanics are of a flat/rate pay. That means if a job pays 2 hours to complete,and they get it done in 1 hour they are ahead 1 hour.

Now they can get a job that pays 2 hours, and it takes them 3. They are behind 1 hour. The older techs know what jobs to take.  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Posted: 09/18/12
09:03 PM

I forgot to ask? Is there a way you can have the trans flushed, because if it really has gear lube in it, it still maybe flushed. Maybe ask a trans shop I would ask a couple and don't tell them you went to another trans shop.

Bob