SOLID LIFTER VALVE LASH ADJUSTMENTS

Item Posts    Sort Order

SOLID LIFTER VALVE LASH ADJUSTMENTS

corvettecherry corvettecherry
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 10/12
Posted: 10/06/12
11:04 PM

ADJUSTING SOLID VALVES WITH A REED Mechanical Flat Tappet Series Cam

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HELLO, i"M ABOUT TO SWIM INTO UNCHARTED WATERS FOR ME. ADJUSTING VALVE LASH WITH SOLID LIFTERS.

i KNOW THE SPECS ON THE CAM AND KNOW MY INTAKE AND EXHAUST GAPS, BUT HAVE NEVER ADJUSTED SOLIDS BEFORE. I WAS INFORMED THAT THE PROCEDURE WAS TRICKY. ALSO NEVER ADJUSTED WITH ROLLER ROCKERS.

I HAVE A 76 STINGRAY L-82,350, WITH VORTEC HEADS AND ROLLER ROCKERS. A REED MECHANICAL FLAT TAPPET CAM (SPECS BELOW)

ANY AND ALL INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED, SO ANY SPECIAOL TOOLS,TRICKS, AND AS USUAL EXCELLANT FORMUN ADVICE WOULD REALLY HELP.

THANK YOU CORVETTE CHERRY
(Grind
T 270 UL
Master #
SA-183

Advertised Duration Duration @ .050" Duration @ .100" Duration @ .200" Duration @ .300" Lobe Lift

270 238 204 144 63 .324"

Intake C/L 98 100 102 104 106 108 110 112 114
Tappet Height At TDC

.112" .106" .099" .093" .086" .080" .074" .068" .063"

Valve Lift with Respective Rocker Ratio 1.5:1 1.55:1 1.6:1 1.65:1 1.7:1 1.73:1 1.75:1 1.76:1 1.8:1
.486" .502" .518" .535" .551" .561" .567" .570" .583"
Valve Lash with Respective Rocker Ratio add .002" on exhaust .018" .019" .019" .020" .020" .021" .021" .021" .022"

IM A TOTAL NOVICE AT THIS BUT I DO HAVE MECHANICAL ABILTIES AND OPEN FOR ALL SUGGESTIONS THANK YOU  

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 181 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 10/07/12
06:18 AM

there are some great directions over at the comp cams web site..

but i have my own... as in shops that i have worked in.. i end up training the other younger techs on things like this...

please read this... several times... if you don't understand.. ask i question.. i drop through these forums several times a day usually..

first.. the crank turns twice to one of the cam...

take your firing order...  race and special cams can be different than normal... but most chevys are

18436572...   thats 2 turns of the crank one of the cam..

break it in half...

i normally and you might want to do this.. put some marks every quarter turn on the damper..  or just paint the numbers of the cylinders that are going to fire..
put 1/6 at TDC mark...
put 8/5 at the 9 o clock position
put 4/7 at the 6 o clock position
put 3/2 at the 3 o clock position on the damper..

now you know where the crank lines up...

when the damper mark is at TDC.. either #1 or #6 piston is at the  top of its stroke...

lets start by bringing the crank around till it gets to TDC..  which valves were moving.. the #1 or #6...  which ever rockers were moving.. the other cylinder is ready to be adjusted..

if you have a problem.. rotate the crank till the exhaust valve on the #6 is just closed. now you are ready to adjust the #1..

the exhaust valve on the #6  is the Fifth rocker back on the passenger side..

now you can adjust valves on the #1 cylinder....

when you have those done.. you can turn the crank 1/4 turn  or to the 8/5 mark if you painted it on.. and adjust the #8 valves.

then you can do another quarter turn.. to do the next..

you have to turn the crank twice to get through all the valves...

you might want to go around again twice just to verify each rockers clearance...

i should also explain something.. perhaps you know.. but on the timing chain...  when the dot on the cam gear is at 12 o clock. the cam lobes are ready to fire the #1 cylinder.. when the dot on the cam gear is at 6 o clock.. the cam lobes are ready to fire the #6 cylinder.. this is why so many people get the distributer in wrong in a chevy...  

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 181 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 10/07/12
06:29 AM

oh.. when i am showing other techs this.. i also explain.. that V8 engines fire a cylinder every 1/4 turn, a six cylinder fires every 1/3 of a turn... a 4 cylinder every half turn..

this is how much you should turn the crank to adjust the valves..

i show it to them because they can assemble the motor on the stand or work bench.. then seal the valve covers on.. and not have to remove them to adjust the valves once the motor is in...

oh...  are you aware that you need special oil to break the cam in with...  not just the graphite moly assembly lube on the lobes and the ends of the lifters.. but special oil to prevent failure once you start the engine and are breaking in the cam...

you will also want to install the distributer.. and align the tips of the reluctor while the cam is set to the #1 cylinder and the damper mark is at what ever base timing your engine needs. 6 or 8 before...   if you align the tips of the reluctor with the tips of the pick up coil.. you will be able to lock the distributer down.. and it will be really close to the perfect timing when you start it.. you won't have to reach in to turn the distributer to get it running..  

pepsi1 pepsi1
User | Posts: 83 | Joined: 01/12
Posted: 10/08/12
01:27 AM

corvettecherry welcome to corvettfever:

I am going to assume you have everything done except all you need to do is set the lash...If you waven't set your valve lash yet here is the way I would have you do it.

"IF YOU TAKE YOUR TIME YOU BE OKAY"

The following procedure if you do it this way you won't be jumping from one cylinder to a cyl. on the oppisite side of the engine. Again take your time you will be okay...

1.Remove all the lash from the valve train.
2.Remove all the spark plugs
3.Remove the fuse from the ignition.
4.Start with cylinder #1
5.Put your thumb on spark plug hole and have a helper tap the starter until your finger pops from plug #1.Your In/Ex should be at TDC. Now set your COLD Lash accordingly.
6.Stay working on that same side, and follow the same procedure. for all 8 cylinders. Take your time and you will get through this with no problem. Leave all the plugs out until you are done. If you want run through that same side again.
7.If you have a battery charger keep it on.

I don't know if your using the stock rocker arm assembly, or after market roller rocker arms with a allen head set screw in the in the center.

Which one your using follow the procedure and you will be okay...

Bob