Facebook Click here to find out more!

Zero oil pressure reading

Item Posts    Sort Order

Zero oil pressure reading

Warrenw1939 Warrenw1939
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/13
Posted: 04/28/13
07:46 AM

My c6 convertible all of a sudden reads zero oil pressure. The engine runs fine but all three displays read zero, analog gauge, HUD and digital dash display. I replaced the oil pressure sending unit and still get zero pressure readings. I believe the pressure is good since I get no valve clatter and no overheating of coolant or oil temp. It must be an electrical problem. By the way the analog gauge goes through it's normal swing to 80psi at startup and then settles down to exactly zero. Any ideas as to where to start the search for this problem?  

waynep712222 waynep712222
User | Posts: 129 | Joined: 03/13
08:25 AM

you did not post a year of your C6... as that can help..

here is a 06 model cluster diagram.. you will note that if you move it over that the EOP (engine oil pressure) is on the lower right corner.. it gets 5 volts from the computer.. has a ground connection inside the computer.. and the variable voltage that signals the computer how much pressure there is...

if there is a problem in that circuit.. like a broken wire  or corrosion inside the connector.. you will have ZERO oil pressure INDICATION..

since the other gauges in your cluster seem to be working.. i am going to say.. that it is probably with your wiring.. would you like a part number of a new pigtail for that oil pressure sensor???? post an exact year.. so i am sure of the correct part..

there is a chance that the cluster is actually bad.. but since the other oil pressure displays are also bad..

you might want to locate the PCM.. with the engine off and the battery disconnected.. disconnect and reconnect the PCM at least once..  

here is the diagram..

you will have to move the slider across to see the lower right corner

0996B43f807d9d4f  

08:27 AM

oh.. the ECM converts the engine oil pressure signal to a digital code and sends it thru the wiring on the left side of the diagram in the LAN GMLAN .. gm local area network circuit..  

Warrenw8539 Warrenw8539
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 04/13
10:27 AM

Thanks Wayne, I will check the wiring and measure the voltage for 5 volts. My c6 is an 07. This is the same guy that posted the question. There is some confusion over establishing my new account so I just reregistered.

Thanks again,
Warren  

12:56 PM

looks like the oil pressure sensor plug is part number 417 at autozone ... or from wells...

i know that part is available in delco and other brands.. but i could not find a part number easy for it...  

Warrenw8539 Warrenw8539
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 04/13
03:06 PM

I pulled the connector off and checked for 5 volts and ground. Everything read good. I tried shorting the 5 volts to the sensor pin. The analog gauge acted a little erratic but still settled to zero. I got frustrated and just hooked everything back up and prepared to head to my favorite barbecue joint. I got in, started the thing up and lo and behold the gauge worked perfectly. It's possible that I didn't have the connector on all the way.

My final conclusion is that my original sensor was bad and I never got the connector on properly. As you know the area where the sensor is located is kind of tight and me having large hands had a lot of trouble getting in there

Thanks again for your help and I hope to help others in the future,

Warren  

05:12 PM

i wish everything was as easy as that..  

glad it worked...