Facebook Click here to find out more!

1982 Vette runs hot.

Item Posts    Sort Order

1982 Vette runs hot.

slikdiem slikdiem
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 06/13
Posted: 06/30/13
12:30 PM

I have a 1982 collectors edition with crossfire injection and after putting in new:
radiator,water pump,thermostat(160),and coolant...it runs @221 degrees on freeway.
The heater core is disconnected and I have since removed the thermostat and still runs at 221. Help.  

waynep712222 waynep712222
User | Posts: 129 | Joined: 03/13
03:26 PM

sorry... no matter what anybody says...

unless you have reprogrammed the ECM and thats a LOT of work..

you will need to have a 192F thermostat to control the cooling system properly.. this will keep the cooling system with your belt driven fan at 195F to 215F or so..

221F is not out of sight..
and when you disconnected the heater core... did you bypass the heater core so the hoses are still connected to continue the circulation thru the heater hose and back to the water pump.. or where ever it attaches..

would you like me to explain why???

with the thermostat closed and the engine running..  the coolant is forced by the water pump thru the bypass or heater hose circuit and back into the water pump again and again until it picks up enough heat from the block and cylinder heads to open the thermostat.. when this happens the hot coolant in the engine swaps places with the cooler coolant in the radiator..

the cooler coolant flowing past the thermostat closes it and allows the fan and ram air thru the radiator to pull the heat out..

when too low a temp thermostat is installed or no thermostat at all.. the coolant circulation thru the radiator is SO FAST.. that there is no chance of ram air or the radiator cooling fan from cooling it properly.. this ends up with a runaway cooling system.. where in Some cases it just gets hotter and hotter and hotter..  

now.. on last thing..   air dams under the car...

i have not studied how the C3 models force air thru the radiator..  

other bottom breathers like mid 80s trans ams are very sensitive to the height of the air dam below the radiator core support.. if they are bent backwards or missing...   there will be at some speeds more pressure behind the radiator than in front of it..  i actually have a HVAC air flow tester.. i measured more pressure behind the radiator than in front of it at 57 MPH.. when i installed a new rigid air dam from GM.. the pressure in front of the radiator was much greater and the high speed overheating issues vanished... that car would run up to 275F at any speed over 60 MPH...  

waynep712222 waynep712222
User | Posts: 129 | Joined: 03/13
04:05 PM

78 heater hose set up.

Getbigpage?Pageid=85472

Getbigpage?Pageid=85473

this is also a 78 and is probably

Getbigpage?Pageid=85694  

slikdiem slikdiem
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 06/13
Posted: 07/02/13
04:39 PM

Wayne,
Thank U for the valuable insights. I had removed the thermostat thinking this would allow more cooling. I also had a 160 thermostat in it.
I will implement your recommendations and post the results when I finish them.

DM