Corvette Fever
Facebook Click here to find out more!

Item Posts    Sort Order

janstein54 janstein54
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/13
Posted: 09/13/13
07:49 AM

Has anyone changed gaskets on valve covers? I got the studs out of the heads but there is so much *** around the covers I'm afraid I'll break something removing them. Is there a secret. Even my manual does not show anything, Thx  

waynep712222 waynep712222
User | Posts: 129 | Joined: 03/13
08:15 AM

there is a lot of stuff.. yep.. this is the TPI L98 motor.. not the earlier crossfire motor .. right..

i think the 85's still have the 4 bolts around the outside edge of the valve cover..

the 86s are probably center bolt..

you might want to invest the extra few bucks in the felpro permadry valve cover gaskets... they are rigid.. and will not mush or slip out..

1985-88 VEHICLES

See Figure 1

Disconnect the negative battery cable.

To remove the right side rocker arm (valve) cover, as follows:
       Remove the right side exhaust manifold and EGR pipe assembly.

Remove the fresh air pipe.

Loosen the spark plug retainer from the back of the right side cylinder head, then remove the other wire retainers.

Remove the injector harness retaining nuts, then position the harness aside.

Disconnect the heater control valve harness vacuum hose from the intake.

To remove the left side rocker arm (valve) cover, as follows:
       Disconnect the PCV valve from the rocker arm cover.

Detach the injector harness from the intake.

Disconnect the canister hose from the pipe.

Detach the brake booster vacuum hose at the pipe, and the brake booster pipe from the plenum.

Loosen the AIR pump pulley bolts, then remove the serpentine belt from the AIR pump.

Remove the AIR pump pulley, and the pump lower mounting bolt.

Unfasten the rocker arm cover mounting bolts, then remove the cover and gasket.

0900C1528008fbd9

Fig. 1: Exploded view of the rocker arm cover
To install:

Clean the sealing surface of the cylinder head and rocker cover. Make sure no oil or old gasket is present when applying the new gasket.

Place a new gasket in proper position.

Install the cover and secure with the mounting bolts. Tighten the bolts to 80-120 inch lbs. (9-13 Nm) for 1985-87 vehicles or to 60-90 inch lbs. (7-10 Nm) for 1988 vehicles.

The remainder of installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.

Connect the negative battery cable.  

waynep712222 waynep712222
User | Posts: 129 | Joined: 03/13
08:39 AM

ps... you might want to invest also in a fuel injector connector pigtail... so you can OHM the individual injectors while you have the harness off..

this is an issue with the L98 motors... shorted injectors...

GP Sorensen/Fuel Injector Wiring Connector
Part Number: 800-9213
Notes: 2 female terminals. With centered index slot, with release. Black.
Price: $8.99

GP Sorensen/Fuel Injector Wiring Connector
Part Number: 6414
Notes: 2 female terminals. With centered index slot, without release. Black.
Price: $6.29

the upper one has a push to release lever .. but i would take it off and just for ohming the injectors.. just shove it in and get a reading..

you will need to stop by a radio shack and pick up some banana plugs so you can go direct to your meter..

there is an AMP LOAD Test for fuel injectors .. it involves more wires.. a digital volt meter with a 10, 15 or 20 AMP DC setting and a push button to active the power for the 5 second only test... FIVE SECONDS ONLY..  not a minute.. unless you like to replace injectors..