Facebook Click here to find out more!

1984 C4 Will not start. HELP PLEASE

Item Posts    Sort Order

1984 C4 Will not start. HELP PLEASE

propst1166 propst1166
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/13
Posted: 07/29/13
08:33 PM

I recently just bought a 84 c4 as a project. When I went to look at the car it would not turn over "when you turn the switch nothing would happen at all" well I messed with it for awhile then she cranked and ran good. I drove it down the road and put the car into park then back into drive and it shut off and would not crank again. Spent about 20 mins wiggling wires and tapping everything then went back to get truck to pull back. Car sit for about 30 then tried to crank again and it cranked right up. Drove it back and I went to get the dollies and it crank when I loaded the car. Got home and it still crank fine. But now it wont crank. When you turn the switch nothing happens. The battery has voltage and I wiggle the shifter to make sure its in park. Ive unplugged the Theft system behind the dash, pulled the center console out and looked to find the neutral safety switch but couldn't. Please HELP me.  

waynep712222 waynep712222
User | Posts: 129 | Joined: 03/13
Posted: 07/30/13
12:18 AM

this could be a few things..

first print this diagram...

0900C1528008fda0  

12:31 AM

question.. is the tilt steering column loose???? does it wobble.??

this could be the ignition switch is out of adjustment.. or worn.. replacement ignition switches are under 25 bucks but a pain in these to install..

lets start under the hood... since wiggling wires seems to help..

pick up a stainless steel wire tooth brush from a paint or hardware store... sometimes in the welding equipment section of home depot stores..  under 5 bucks..

i do have a test if you own a digital volt meter.. and you can get the engine running.. it can be done for slow starting also..

lets clean the battery cable connections and ground terminal locations.. that are involved in cranking..

you will want to print this also...

82 84Crossfiregroundconnection

since your battery seems to be able to crank  then engine..

try this test... this is printable also...

VOLTAGE Drop Testing

hint.. RUN TEST 2 while attempting to crank the engine.. you should NOT get over 1.0 volts

run test 3 while attempting to crank the engine.. you should not get over 1/2 a volt..

run test 4.. while attempting to crank the engine.. you should not get over 1/2 a volt..

please... with the battery disconnected... reach under the right hand exhaust manifold to the top post on the starter solenoid.  verify the top bolt is tight..

you can also test between the top post on the starter solenoid. threaded section.. and the positive battery post.. less than 1.0 volt while cranking...  

12:39 AM

the negative battery cable is grounded to the engine block usually at the bell housing to engine bolt..  if the transmission has been out.. this could have been left off.. or it could be loose... its in a PAIN position to get at.. you will find if you run test 2. while cranking if its over 1.0 volt while cranking that you will need to get under the car. as i don't think you can reach it from above.. to remote the bolt.. the cable.. clean the end of the cable and the back of the bolt head with the stainless steel wire tooth brush..

why am i having you clean all these.. because i cover this forum and the Vetteweb forum and these are areas where problems have been found again and again and again..

digital volt meters are cheep..  got a harbor freight nearby.. buy the 37772... 20 bucks..

the connection #20 on the diagram is important also..  as is the one next to the EGR control solenoid.. that grounds the fuel injection system to the engine...

your car will be 30 model years old in a few weeks... so putting back all the grounds is important.. as they are not really grounds... in reality.. they are half the circuit ... and also the side that supplies electrons to operate the various electrical items..  

12:49 AM

oh.. the neutral safety switch is a delco # D2297

it should be mounted to the side of the shifter base..  have probably 6 wires on it..  2 thick and 4 thin..

the thick wires are for the cranking circuit...

two of the thin wires are for the back up lights..

the other 2 are for the ECM to know what position the gear shift is in..

you can reach the starter solenoid.. and with a remote starter button tool..  you can verify the starter cranks the engine when hooked directly to the solenoid...

good way to test the #2, #3, #4 test while cranking..

engine running is a different set of readings...

sorry for burrying you with info...